My research lies at the intersection of Ubiquitous Computing (UbiComp), Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) and Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW) with particular interest on Healthcare and Sustainability domains. Through a Design-oriented research approach, I combine user-centered and participatory design methods to further understand people’s everyday practices, different stakeholder’s needs and how people appropriate technology into their everyday life. I have been working in various projects related to healthcare, physical computing, and sustainable HCI. Most of my research is aligned with the turn to practice in HCI, in which the understanding of everyday practices plays a major role in system design. So, if you are a bachelor/master or a potential Ph.D. student looking for a thesis project in HCI/UbiComp/CSCW – healthcare or sustainability domains – send me an email to get in touch and discuss possible projects.
Before moving to Leicester last April, I was a Postdoctoral researcher at the Ubiquitous Computing and Interaction Group – Department of Computer Science at Aarhus University in Aarhus-Denmark. My postdoc supervisor was Prof. Kaj Grønbæk. From August 2014, I was working in the EcoSense Project: “Collective Sensing and Macroscopic Analysis Methods for Reducing Environmental Footprints” + I was also teaching Advanced Physical Computing and Context Awareness Computing for bachelor and master students respectively.
I received my Ph.D. in Computer Science – PervasiveHealthcare – from the Faculty of Science and Technology at Aarhus University. My Ph.D. thesis advisor was Prof. Morten Kyng and co-advisor was Erik Grönvall. During my PhD studies, I was Research Assistant in the Use, Design and Innovation Group and the Centre for Pervasive Healthcare. In addition, I received a Bachelor degree in Computer Engineering-majoring in Technological Systems from Escuela Superior Politecnica del Litoral (ESPOL) in Guayaquil – Ecuador, degree in June 2009. My advisor at ESPOL was Prof. Guido Caicedo. Then, I got a scholarship from University of Trento (UNITN) in Trento – Italy and I was a student of the Second Level Professional Master in Human Language Technology and Interfaces (HLTI), degree in October 2010. My advisor at UNITN was Prof. Laure Vieu and co-advisor was Prof. Alessandro Oltramari.
- Program Committee for The International Workshop on Information and Knowledge in the Internet of Things (IKIT 2017) In conjunction with The 5th International Conference on Future Internet of Things and Cloud (FiCloud 2017), Prague, Czech Republic, August 21-23, 2017.
- PC member for the 7th International Conference on Digital Health – DH 2017, July 2nd-5th 2017, London, UK.
- Poster and Demos Co-Chair for The 11th EAI International Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare (PervasiveHealth 2017), Barcelona, Spain, May 23-26, 2017.
- Workshop Program Committee for The ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2017), Denver, CO, USA, May 6-11, 2017.
- PC member for the Tercer Congreso Salesiano de Ciencia, Tecnología e Innovación para la Sociedad [Third Salesian Congress of Science, Technology and Innovation for the Society] – CITIS 2016, 30 Nov and 1 – 2 December 2016, Universidad Politécnica Salesiana, Guayaquil, Ecuador
- Program Chair for the 6th EAI International Symposium on Pervasive Computing Paradigms for Mental Health (MindCare 2016), Barcelona, Spain, Nov 28-29, 2016.
- PC member for the 9th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (NordiCHI 2016), Gothenburg, Sweden, Oct 23-27, 2016.
- Associate Chair for CHI 2016 Late-Breaking Work category (CHI 2016 LBW), San Jose, CA, USA, May 7-12.
- Guest Editor for the Interaction Design and Architecture(s) Journal (IxD&A) focus section on “Experiences of Technology Appropriation: Unanticipated Users, Usage, Circumstances, and Design” . Summer 2016.
- PC member for the 10th EAI International Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare (PervasiveHealth 2016), Cancún, México, May 16-19, 2016.
- PC member for the CHI 2016 workshop on Advances in DIY Health and Wellbeing – DIY 2016, 7 or 8 May 2016, San Jose, California, USA.
- PC member for the Pervasive Information Systems Workshop – PIS 2016, 22 – 24 March 2016, Recife, Brazil
- PC member for the Segundo Congreso Salesiano de Ciencia, Tecnología e Innovación para la Sociedad [Second Salesian Congress of Science, Technology and Innovation for the Society] – CITIS 2015, 2 – 3 December 2015, Universidad Politécnica Salesiana, Guayaquil, Ecuador
- PC member for the Workshop on Health Information Quality (HealthIQ 2015), Dallas, Texas USA on October 21-23, 2015.
- SV Co-chair for the fifth decennial Aarhus conference, Critical Alternatives – Aarhus 2015, 17 – 21 August 2015, Aarhus, Denmark
- Guest Editor for the Interaction Design and Architecture(s) Journal (IxD&A) focus section on “Designing Self-Care for Everyday Life”.
- PC member for the Pervasive Information Systems Workshop – PIS 2015, 1 – 3 April 2015, Ponta Delgada, Azores, Portugal
- PC member for Posters and Demos of the 5th Indian Human Computer Interaction conference – IndiaHCI 2014, Dec. 7 – 9, 2014 – ITT Delhi, India.
- PC member for the ACM GROUP 2014 Workshop on Collaboration and Coordination in the Context of Informal Care, Nov. 9, 2014 – Sanibel Island, Florida, USA.
- PC member for the ACE 2014 Workshop on “Designing Systems for
Health and Entertainment: what are we missing?”, Nov. 11, 2014 – Madeira, Portugal.
- Reviewer for INTERACT 2017, DIS 2017 (a “Special Recognitions” received), CHI 2017 (four “Special Recognitions” received), CSCW 2017 posters, DIS 2016 (two “Special Recognitions” received), CHI 2016 (a “Special Recognitions” received), CSCW 2016, MUM 2015, UbiComp 2015, Aarhus 2015, CHI 2015 (a “Special Recognitions” received), CSCW 2015, NordiCHI 2014, MobileHCI 2014, DIS 2014, PervasiveHealth 2014, CHI 2014 (a “Special Recognitions” received), and PervasiveHealth 2013.
- Reviewer for the ACM Transaction on Computer-Human Interaction – TOCHI Journal.
- Reviewer for the Computer Supported Cooperative Work – CSCW – Journal.
- Reviewer for the CoDesign Journal.
- Reviewer for the Interacting with Computers Journal.
- Reviewer for the Behavior and Information Technology Journal.
- Reviewer for the Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association.
- Reviewer for the Entertainment Computing Journal, Elsevier.
- Reviewer for the Journal of Language Resources and Evaluation.
- Student Volunteer at NordiCHI 2014, October 26-30, 2014 – Helsinki, Finland.
- Student Volunteer at ICHI 2013, September 9-11, 2013 – Philadelphia, PA, USA.
- Student Volunteer at NordiCHI2012, October 14-17, 2012 – Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Student Volunteer at CHI 2012, May 5-10, 2012 – Austin, Texas, USA.
- Student Volunteer at ECSCW 2011, September 24-28, 2011 – Aarhus, Denmark.
- Student Volunteer at Ubicomp 2011, September 17-21, 2011 – Beijing, China.
- Student Volunteer at Ubicomp 2010, September 26-29, 2010 – Copenhagen, Denmark.